Skip to content
Click to Call
Riskbusters Insurance

5865 Ridgeway Center Parkway, Ste. 300
Memphis, TN 38120

Get Directions
Featured Insurance Blog

Do Freelancers Need Commercial Insurance?

If you’re a freelancer serving clients in Tennessee and beyond, you may think you don’t need commercial insurance, primarily if you work out of your home. However, some situations may require obtaining specific insurance types before taking on new clients. Other situations may not require them but may be preferable to your future operations. Riskbusters Insurance can help you decide what types of commercial insurance can meet your needs.

Your Clients May Ask You to Carry Insurance

An increasing trend involves clients asking freelancers they work with to carry insurance to cover risks at no cost to them because of today’s highly litigious society. Many businesses do whatever they can to minimize risk and protect themselves from paying defense fees, compensation costs, and reputational damage if a lawsuit occurs. In most cases, professional liability insurance may be nice, but in other cases, it could be a dealbreaker for lucrative contracts that bring in a lot of money.

The Type of Policies Needed Depends on Your Industry

Freelance contractors performing physical work like plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and similar jobs can benefit from policies that protect their tools and equipment. Some professions may also need a general liability policy for freelancers to obtain a license. Errors and omissions insurance can be tailored to your specific industry requirements. Among the various types of policies to consider are:

  • Tech errors and omissions to protect against unexpected cyberattacks
  • Media liability insurance for plagiarism or libel claims
  • Inland marine insurance when transporting business property
  • Business interruption insurance

Consult With Us

If you’re wondering what types of commercial insurance are most appropriate for your freelancing career, Riskbusters Insurance serving Tennessee residents and businesses can help. Contact our office today to speak with one of our agents to get started on a policy.


Right 1st image

Locally owned and operated

Right 2nd image

Policies that meet & exceed expectations

Right 3rd image

Get an Annual Policy review

States Served

  • Tennessee
  • Mississippi
  • Arkansas
  • Alabama
  • Ohio